Trash Free River Program
This summer TIA hosted our 2nd annual Trash Free River Clean Up on Saturday, August 7th – it was a smashing success thanks to all of our fantastic volunteers!
We have joined Save The River’s effort to help keep the upper St. Lawrence “swimmable, fishable, and drinkable now and for generations to come”. These cleanups are community-based and volunteer oriented. Due to COVID and border restrictions, we were unable to share this event in person, however we were able to share in mutual care and effort in preserving our River.
The problems of trash in the water of the St. Lawrence River have been well documented and can be observed on a daily basis by islanders and boaters. Removing plastics and other man-made debris from the St. Lawrence River is a pressing concern, and with our Trash Free River cleanup we hope to start an annual tradition of shoreline and river bottom cleanups removing a major source of pollution from the River.
How it works:
Teams will register and be assigned their cleanup areas in advance. They will be able to pick up their cleanup kits and t-shirts in advance at a yet to be determined place. Releases must be signed prior to participation in the cleanup.
- Check-in, if needed day of
- Teams are at the assigned location by the designated time to start the cleanup.
- Disposal of all/final trash by teams at a time TBD
Teams of 3-5 will work together along the shore and from the water via kayaks to clean up areas up to 10 ft above and below the shoreline. Teams will be given a cleanup kit with trash bags and trash grabbers and other necessary items to safely remove trash from the shoreline and water.
There will be a designated area for teams to dispose of their collected trash.
Who Can Participate?
- Families are also encouraged to register as teams, this is a family-friendly event but anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Individuals are also encouraged to register and will be assigned to a team and a specific zone.
- Calling all kayakers! We are hoping that our network of volunteers will help provide coverage from the water with your own personal kayak.
Stay tuned for more Clean Up Days in 2022!
More photos from August 7th, 2021:
Why Your Membership Matters
TIA is the only organization placing shoal markers for the River Community - this is an essential service. Our mission of river safety is to heighten boater’s awareness of some dangerous shoals to avoid . TIA strongly encourages all boaters to use navigation charts when navigating the St. Lawrence River. Please be a TIA supporter, we rely on membership dues & donations to be sustainable.